Monday, April 29, 2013

More News From Nowhere

Skittles here. I'm called that because I eat skittles. Clever, huh? I'm going to just rattle off a couple highlights if the last few days.

First off, our new friend Gnar McKnee pooped himself a little but today, so he'd like to tell everyone that you should be careful when you fart when you've been having stomach issues. This is a safety issue for all, really.

Next, we hiked twenty miles today, and I for one did it hungover, because I happened to meet a few fine Ohioans who got me drunk on the finest beer Hot Springs, North Carolina has to offer, which is surprisingly good. So after we hiked those twenty miles, we went right back to the bar to celebrate. We are athletes.

Speaking of the athleticism necessary for the trail, our pooping friend Gnar had, in my opinion, the best summation of our hike. He said, 'sometimes I think about what an athletic endeavor it is that we're undertaking, and I feel good about myself, but then I look at somebody like Bubba, (one of those guys who, even when he's standing up, it looks like he's sitting down, and his food bag is an old bag of kettle corn) and he's hiking right there with us. So this isn't hard. That's something you should know. But there is an endurance factor that is the hard part. We're out here for six months. Most people just can't do that with their lives. So that's why I consider this a pretty cool life event.

People like us because of our weird decision. I met a couple from St. Louis, and they were just amazed that we are walking 2200 miles. So they bought us two pitchers of beer. And then I met the Ohio boys, (hey Patton, Meatball and Pa!) and they bought me dinner, and even more beer, just because they think this undertaking is fascinating and impressive. But when I think about it, all I'm doing is talking a walk with my friends for six months. I'm having a great time. I'm meeting great people. DeLorean, Talker, Rambo, Gnar, Push Up, 22, everybody. That's what makes it all more than just a stroll through the forest.

And here's a picture of me and my awesome beard and sunglasses. Careful ladies, there may be swooning.

And the sexier one is a side shot of the aforementioned Bubba, in his, 'everything else is in the wash, so I'll wear a bug net and boxers gear.'




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the birthday wishes, apart from the hot air balloon flight from the wife, this post was the best present. Oh and the cash money from my folks so I can stay in nicer accommodation than you when we all meet in Canada in August. So 3rd isn't bad. No, wait, Laura and Marie both made cakes. Oh sod it, this post is the lamest present I have ever got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely one of my favorite things about hiking the AT - "Hey, I'm quitting my job and going to live out of a bag for six months." The usual response is, "What's wrong with you, you stupid bastard?" On the AT, though, it's, "Hey, I'm going to buy you a bunch of shit! Here, stay in my house. Marry my daughter. Want my car?"

    ReplyDelete